This trip could have easily been called the ‘Canadian Hot Springs Tour‘, but Northern Rockies was much more inclusive of our trip. This was our first trip since completing our move to Colorado and Abby had been away in storage for the past six weeks. The poor girl was not in travel ready condition. Time was spent Friday night and Saturday morning to get Abby back in fighting form, or at least something that we could pass off as fighting form. We left at 10:30 Saturday morning, August 20th, which was much better than what Jess pessimistically envisioned.
We achieved an exciting first on this trip – Penny, Chewie, and Buster all crossed an international border (Canada) and were allowed re-entry into the United States! Our fuzzy fur creatures did not cause any international incidents while in Canada! Fantastic wins. Canada National Parks also allow dogs on trails, unless restrictions are posted. Penny and Chewie were happy to join us hiking.
Check out our Going to the Sun Road post.
Mileage and Fuel Consumption:
We discovered how expensive diesel (and gasoline) is in Canada. Charged per liter, we had to multiple the by 3.785 to obtain the per gallon price. So $0.939/L became $3.55/gallon, which was a solid $1.00/gallon more than our most expensive price in the states.
Total days: 12
Total miles: 2800
Total gallons diesel: 175.3
Average miles per gallon: 15.9
Best miles per gallon: 17.6
Worst miles per gallon: 13.2
Our last tank reflected the slog it was driving Abby home down I-25S. We fought a headwind and hills the entire way. Despite the one poor mileage tank, we were very pleased with the mileage for the trip.
For our campground summary post, follow this link.
- Dispersed camping, FSR 20, Bighorn National Forest, WY (1)
- Many Pines Campground, Lewis and Clark National Forest, MT (1)
- Two Medicine Campground, Glacier National Park, MT (2); link to hike
- Calgary West Campground, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (1)
- Two Jack Main Campground, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada (2)
- Dry Gulch Provincial Campground, British Columbia, Canada (1)
- Apgar Campground, Glacier National Park, MT (2)
- Missouri Headwaters State Park, Three Forks, MN (1)
- Lake View Campground, Bighorn National Forest, WY (1)
- The Grizzly Paw Brewing Company, Canmore, Alberta, Canada
- Banff Avenue Brewing Company, Banff, Alberta, Canada
- Ten Sleep Brewing Company, Ten Sleep, WY
For more detail regarding our brewery visits, check out this post.
National Monuments/Historic Sites:
- Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument – click here for more details.
- Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site – click here for more details
- Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area